I have been living and working in China for a long time, and the first thing that has drawn my attention is the complete absence of decent air, water and trees. And after Chinese food my face was covered with a rash.
I began to gather information on what is going on there with ecology but it was really difficult to do in their Internet resources because in China the Internet is under complete State control. Then I came up to the article by E. Vlasova «The ecological situation in China — the problem for the whole world», March 13, 2013.
In spite of the fact that this article has been published several years ago, it’s material is relevant to the current moment. The ecological situation became times worse because the projects mentioned in the article were implemented, also the number of cars became the same and even exceeded the level of the USA. Chinese GDP according to the data of 2018, has almost reached the USA GDP.
As my work is closely related to China, I can surely say that China is the country — ecological criminal number one in the world. Here are the facts:
- In 2016 the Chinese built the largest in the world dam Sansya «三峡» (3 gorges in translation) on the river Yangtze which concentrated 39 milliard !!! tons of water. It has slowed down the rotation the Earth and, as some people consider, it has influenced the planet’s tilt of the axis of rotation. This has led to the irreversible environmental impact:
«China’s passion for gigantism is fraught with catastrophic consequences for the entire planet», Novie Izvestiya: https://newizv. ru/news/tech/04-03-2019/kitayskaya-super-plotina-zamedlila-vraschenie-zemli
- About 80 per cent of the thermal power plants in China work on coal, the most environmentally harmful in terms of CO2 emissions fuel. In the next few years it is planned to open more than 500 new thermal power plants. At the same time, China has signed the Kyoto Protocol taking advantage of the clause which does not set emission limits for the countries with developing economies.
- In China 75% of the rivers and lakes and 90% of groundwater are highly polluted. WATER IN MANY RIVERS IN CHINA IS SO HIGHLY TOXIC THAT IT DOESN’T EVEN SUIT FOR IRRIGATION. In many cities, groundwater is contaminated with phenols, cyanide, mercury, and arsenic compounds.
Under many cities in China, even as large as Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Hanzhou, Sian, the world’s largest underground funnels were formed. Some buildings go underground, cracks appear on others, bridges and railways are being destroyed.
- Soil pollution and condition in China are state secrets. At least, this is how Chinese Ministry of the Environment中国环境has justified its refusal to publish full research results of the soil condition.
For many years, the Chinese government denied severe pollution of water and air and only recently recognized it when the seriousness of the situation became absolutely obvious to everyone.
Unlike water and air, critical quality of which is easy to determine even without special analyzes, the degree of industrial pollution of soil and its condition needs special studies which authorities refuse to make public.
One can only guess about those terrible figures that are withheld from people.
- Acid rains are recorded in one third of the country’s territory, causing great harm to human health. They affect the eyes, causing acute conjunctivitis, and airways leading to bronchial asthma, cough, lung diseases.
Detailed studies conducted by the World Bank show the mass deaths of people in the country from smog — 750 thousand people die from it every year. According to the same studies, more than 60 thousand people became victims of the use of contaminated water and died from gastrointestinal diseases, infectious diseases of the liver and kidneys.
- Cancer villages in China.
Environmental pollution leads to massive cancer. According to experts 1.4 million people die annually from various types of cancer. The number of pulmonary diseases — tuberculosis and lung cancer, is so high that the whole «cancer villages» are emerged. According to one of the annual reports if the World Resource Institute 459! such «cancer villages» were identified in 29 out of 31 provinces !!! of China in 2010.
The situation in China is so severe that it affects almost all spheres of society from environmental pollution and threats to the health and life of the population to problems with internal political stability and the country’s image in the world. And we must not forget that our country is directly affected by the environmental disasters of the Chinese. I have lived all my life in the Far East. And I saw how the fish died in our river Amur because of poison dumping by the Chinese into their rivers.
I see now how the Chinese come to Russia to eat «clean food» as they put it. One young Chinese student who came to study in St. Petersburg told me that her mother admonished her with the words: «Eat some normal food in Russia, they haven’t poisoned everything yet as we have».
I believe it is necessary to pull China to the Green Movement. Unfortunately, I do not have any information whether there are Green initiative groups in China.
The Communist Party of China is unlikely going to work towards lowering consumption and eco-thinking. However, I do not lose hope that the Russian Green Movement will be able to find like-minded people in China.
translated by Elena Goyeneche
1。2016年 中国人在长江建筑了世界上最大的«三峡» 水坝其中集中了39亿吨水。
3。 在中国75% 河流与90%地下水被严重污染了。中国许多河流的水有毒，甚至不适合灌溉。在许多城市，地下水受到苯酚、氰化物、汞、砷化合物的污染。在中国的许多城市之下，甚至如此大的北京、上海、天津、杭州、西安，形成了世界上最大的地下落水洞。有的建筑物转到地下，有的有了裂缝，桥梁，铁路被摧毁。
中国的环境问题影响到生存的各个领域, 威胁人口的健康和生命, 它们为国内政治稳定和国家在世界上的形象制造了问题。
我不会失去希望，在中国有理智的人谁将会加入我们的绿色运动”100委员会”拯救整个地球。 “百委员会”- 拯救地球的国际绿色运动。
Статья на русском: https://k100.space/kitaj-rasplata-za-ekonomicheskij-rost/